The Youth Services Program offers flexible, creative programming to meet the needs of young people with emotional, developmental, or behavioral challenges. By providing opportunities for support, socialization, and recreation, the program works to keeps youth living happy, healthy lives in their homes and communities.
To learn more or sign up for any of the programs below, contact Melanie Little, Director of Youth Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 607-273-9250.
Saturday Group Respite Program
1PM-3PM and 3:15PM-5:15PM @ YMCA of Ithaca & Tompkins County
(Saturdays throughout the school year)
Youth facing mental health/developmental challenges, as well as their siblings (regardless of diagnosis) are eligible to attend our program at the Y. MHATC staff and volunteers supervise youth, maintaining at minimum a 1:4 staff-to-youth ratio, and work with participants to build social skills, communication skills, and coping strategies. Participants have access to a variety of activities, including swimming, racquetball, basketball, billiards, and indoor as well as outdoor play structures. The program is free of cost.
Youth Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP®)
What is WRAP® (Wellness Recovery Action Plan)?
- WRAP is a plan that YOU create to support your mental health journey, stay well, and prevent crisis situations
- WRAP helps you to figure out what you need to do each and every day to stay well, learn your triggers, recognize when things are going downhill, and develop safe, simple tools to help yourself through difficult times
- WRAP is delivered through peer group workshops that cover different topics each week
- WRAP is led by trained peer facilitators who have developed their own WRAP plans and live WRAP every day
- WRAP is not a replacement for other mental health treatments, but is a tool that puts YOU in the driver’s seat of your wellness and recovery, because YOU have the power to get well and stay well!
Youth WRAP is offered to youth ages 14-18 as a closed workshop group in a series of twelve 2-hour sessions. WRAP for Winter of 2019 will begin on January 8th, 4:30pm-6:30pm. For more information about the Wellness Recovery Action Plan® program, visit: http://mentalhealthrecovery.com/wrap-is/.
4:30pm-5:30pm on Thursdays at the Mental Health Association
A free, weekly drop-in group for teens, Teen Group provides an opportunity for adolescents to meet peers, have fun and socialize in a safe and healthy manner, and share their experiences, struggles and successes with one another. A small meal is provided.
Kids First Summer Day Camp
Kids First is a 6-week day-camp program offered each summer, providing youth with games, crafts, field trips, educational guest speakers, and daily trips to Cass Park Pool for swimming. Kids First is unique due to the high level of training for staff and a higher ratio of counselors to youth than a typical camp, allowing greater flexibility and support for participants.
Young Adults Group
Young Adults Group is a new group at the Jenkins Center geared towards young people ages 18-30, exploring the challenges and joys of entering adulthood, and how young adults can find voice to empower themselves, their peers, and make an impact on the systems level. This group meets Friday afternoons from 3:30pm-4:30pm.
Additional Programs of Interest:
Trainings that benefit youth and families are also offered in conjunction with our Community Education program, which offers training in Youth Mental Health First Aid and the Wellness Recovery Action Plan. See our Community Education page for more information.