YOU COULD BE THE HELP SOMEONE NEEDS!
GET TRAINED AND GET THE SKILLS TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
DID YOU KNOW?
- The MHATC Has 3 Certified Mental Health First Aid Trainers on staff
- The MHATC offers trainings for:
- Adult Mental Health First Aid
- Mental Health First Aid for Higher Education
- Mental Health First Aid for Older Adults
- Youth Mental Health First Aid (for Adults Assisting Young People)
WHAT IS MENTAL HEALTH FIRST AID?
Mental Health First Aid is an 8-hour course that teaches you how to identify, understand and respond to signs of mental illnesses and substance use disorders. The training gives you the skills you need to reach out and provide initial help and support to someone who may be developing a mental health or substance use problem or experiencing a crisis.
MENTAL HEALTH FIRST AID MATTERS.
Most of us would know how to help if we saw someone having a heart attack—we’d start CPR, or at the very least, call 9-1-1. But too few of us would know how to respond if we saw someone having a panic attack or if we were concerned that a friend or co-worker might be showing signs of a substance use disorder.
Mental Health First Aid takes the fear and hesitation out of starting conversations about mental health and substance use problems by improving understanding and providing an action plan that teaches people to safely and responsibly identify and address a potential mental illness or substance use disorder.
2020 COMMUNITY TRAININGS
All of our community Mental Health First Aid trainings are held in session from 9am-1:30pm in the Borg Warner Room at the Tompkins County Public Library, located at 101 E. Green St., Ithaca NY, 14850. For each set of dates, BOTH sessions are required to complete the course.
Adult Mental Health First Aid:
- Tuesday, 1/21 & Wednesday, 1/22 – Cancelled
- Tuesday, 2/18 & Wednesday, 2/19
- Monday, 3/16 & Tuesday, 3/17 –
- AT THIS TIME MENTAL HEALTH FIRST AID IS CANCELLED
- Monday, 5/11 & Tuesday, 5/12
- Tuesday, 10/13 & Wednesday, 10/14
- Tuesday, 11/17 & Wednesday, 11/18
Youth Mental Health First Aid (For Adults Assisting Young People):
- AT THIS TIME YOUTH MENTAL HEALTH FIRST AID IS CANCELLED
- Tuesday, 9/17 & Wednesday, 9/18
2020 TRAININGS AT CORNELL UNIVERSITY:
With the support of the Cornell University Biology Service Leaders and Cornell Minds Matter, the MHATC provides trainings on-campus that are open to the Cornell community. Courses take place from 9am-6pm with a half-hour break for lunch.
Mental Health First Aid for Higher Education:
- AT THIS TIME MENTAL HEALTH FIRST AID FOR HIGHER EDUCATION IS CANCELLED
MHATC’s instructors are also available for on-site trainings at your organization for groups of 10-30 individuals.
REGISTRATION FEE: The cost of the course is $80/participant. A 20% discount is provided for in-service trainings for groups of 15 or more. The MHATC is committed to making our education programming accessible to our community members–if the cost is prohibitive to you being able to register, contact us about need-based partial scholarships.
For more information, to register or to schedule a training for your organization contact Melanie Little at MLittle@mhaedu.org or 607 273-9250.
Mental Health First Aid USA is coordinated by the National Council for Behavioral Health, the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, and the Missouri Department of Mental Health — who certify instructors to deliver the 8-hour Mental Health First Aid course in your community.